In 2020 the Shower Blocks brand came onboard with Toiletries Amnesty to help end hygiene poverty. Shower Blocks is a newcomer in the toiletries world, making solid shower gel bars in an ethical and sustainable way in the UK; they’re plastic-free, paraben-free, and vegan-friendly.
Toiletries Amnesty is a small charitable organisation that aims to relieve hygiene poverty and stop products going to waste. It’s social, ethical and environmental, and it’s easy for people to get involved in many ways.
For every Shower Blocks bar sold, the brand will donate a bar to Toiletries Amnesty. This means that over 250 charities and groups in the Toiletries Amnesty directory, including homeless shelters and hostels, food banks, refuges, mental health services, NHS trusts, and hospices, will be able to distribute bars to the people they help.
Here are some of the reasons you might want to get on board with shower gel bars:
- Shower gel might seem like a small thing, but it really matters. On average, a person in the UK uses 10-14 bottles of shower gel per year; that’s a lot of plastic (typically single-use plastic, too), which we want to cut down on. It’s also a lot of money for people living in hygiene poverty. Many organisations in our directory ask for shower gel, and this fits their requirements whilst being eco-friendly.
- When talking about products that make showering easier for those with chronic illnesses and disabilities, several readers of The Mighty recommended solid shower gel or shampoo. There’s no lid involved, no squeezing action, and the product weighs less overall.
- This is a multi-tasking product, with more than 10% moisturiser alongside the rich lather you want from a gel. Your skin is left feeling nourished, but without the drying feeling you can get from using traditional soap.
- Travel might feel like a distant possibility at the moment, but when we are able to plan holidays again, using a bar means you can go liquid-free – no risk of leaks in your suitcase, and more room in your liquids bag if you’re flying with hand luggage. Meanwhile, your bar hasn’t travelled half way around the world to reach you; it’s handmade in the UK.
- The bars come in five different scents (our current favourite is either mango and passionfruit or lime and sandalwood), plus there’s an unscented version for those with sensitive skin. Shower Blocks uses 96% natural or naturally derived ingredients, too.
These solid shower gel bars are available from the Shower Blocks website, with 10% off your first order when you sign up to their newsletter, and from selected stockists.