Young Darwin Scholarship & Career Programme Launches For Young Adults

A scholarship aimed at helping young adults learn about environmental skills and explore future career opportunities in the natural world is open for applications.

The Field Studies Council is looking for seventy-five young people aged between 16 and 25 to take part in its annual Young Darwin Scholarship programme. The scholarship helps those with an interest in the environment to gain practical skills and understanding of a wide range of field techniques including biodiversity identification and recording skills.

Mollie Clay, Learning and Development Officer for the charity, said: “The Field Studies Council has been running the Young Darwin Scholarship for more than 10 years now and we have awarded scholarships to more than three hundred young people in that time.

“The scheme is always very popular so we would urge anyone who is interested in taking part this year to get their applications in by the June deadline.”

The scholarships are funded through grants and donations to the Field Studies Council and each year they start with a residential trip, or series of day trips, at various locations across the UK.

After the trips, scholars will receive exclusive support from tutors and dedicated staff who will help advise on further environmental study and career pathways, as well as a free youth membership to the Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland.

Charlie Lawler, 26, was one of the first Darwin Scholars in 2014 and rates the programme highly:  “It’s a brilliant way for anyone interested in the natural world, geography, and science to get a better insight into how professionals use these subjects and to learn a range of applicable field skills.

“People often think if you do a geography degree, you’ll go on to be a geography teacher but that isn’t the case at all – there are lots of opportunities out there.

“The scholarship was my first real experience of undertaking proper fieldwork and it was great to learn and understand how different methods are applied in the real world.”

The scholarship covers 90% of the programme fees, leaving applicants to pay up to £90. Extra support might be available for individuals who would financially struggle to cover the remaining 10% of the fees.

Applications for the scholarship are open until June 2. For further details on scholarship dates, locations and information on how to apply, visit the Field Studies Council website.