Spring is on its way. The snow drops are open and the bulbs appearing as temperatures increase.
General jobs to do in the garden:
- Double check that frost protection is still in place and that structures are ready as wind increases.
- Cut back deciduous grasses left uncut over the winter, remove dead grass from evergreen grasses.
- Prune winter-flowering shrubs that have finished flowering.
- Put up nesting boxes for birds.
- Build a compost bin.
Jobs to do in the flower garden:
- Divide bulbs such as snowdrops, so they don’t get overgrown. It’s much better to do now than when taken root.
- Towards the end of the month prune summer-flowering Clematis before growth begins.
- Prune overwintered fuchsias back to one or two buds on each shoot.
- Check climbers are securely attached with plant ties to their supports.
Jobs to do in the vegetable garden:
- Start sowing vegetable seeds such as onions & shallots under cover now.
- Chit Potato tubers.
- Continue to harvest Parsnips, Brussels, Sprouting broccoli, Turnips and Leeks.
Jobs to do in the fruit garden:
- Net fruit to keep birds off.
- Prune apple trees and pear trees whilst they’re still dormant. Leave plum trees, cherry trees and apricots until the summer as pruning these fruit trees now will make them susceptible to Silver Leaf disease.
- Protect blossom on apricots, nectarines and peaches.
What to do with the lawn:
- Keep clearing leaves off the lawn to let the light in and prevent dead patches appearing.
- Spike lawns with a garden fork to improve drainage and aeration especially if snows likely.