With the January 31 deadline for online tax returns just days away, HMRC has released a list of ludicrous expenses that customers tried to claim back on their 2014-15 Self Assessment returns.
Holidays in the Caribbean, Armani jeans for protection while painting and food for a Shih Tzu ‘guard dog’:
- Holiday flights to the Caribbean
- Luxury watches as Christmas gifts for staff – from a company with no employees
- International flights for dental treatment ahead of business meetings
- Pet food for a Shih Tzu ‘guard dog’
- Armani jeans as protective clothing for painter and decorator
- Cost of regular Friday night ‘bonding sessions’ – running into thousands of pounds
- Underwear – for personal use
- A garden shed for private use – plus the costs of the space it takes up in the garden
- Betting slips
- Caravan rental for the Easter weekend
The expenses above were all rejected but by issuing the list HMRC hope they will deter other taxpayers from making similarly spurious claims.
A reminder the deadline is midnight on Tuesday 31st January 2017. Full details can be found here.